Tuesday 16 March 2021

 Now the wonderful spring is here and for me, it means that the running season begins. This year I have the ambition to focus more on yogic running. I should do that as an Ayurveda consultant and yoga teacher, shouldn't I :) What does that mean then? There does not seem to be any unambiguous definition or generally accepted knowledge about it. But based on my experience of yoga, I think like this:

• It must be comfortable. In Maharishi Yoga, the concept of pleasant steadiness is used as a prerequisite for a position to be a yoga asana. Thus, yogic running should be a state of pleasant dynamics.

• Awareness is probably important. In Maharishi Yoga, attention is allowed to rest easily on the parts of the body that are stretched. Similarly, attention should probably rest on the dynamic activity that the body performs.

• In Bhagavad-Gita, we are advised to "established in yoga, perform action", ie. established in the silent pure consciousness which is the basis of everything, one performs actions which then automatically become right. In the same way, I think of yogic running as an activity where the body is dynamically active while the mind is established in silence - a bit like the eye of the storm which is the still point around which all activity revolves. The activity comes from silence.

• To be able to achieve this, it is of course important to supplement with yoga and meditation.

This is how far I have come so far. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment