Majja is the sixth tissue according to Ayurveda. It corresponds primarily to the bone marrow but also to the nervous system and the immune system. The bone marrow is a tissue mainly found inside our larger tubular bones. It is essential for our health because it is where our blood cells are produced - both red and white blood cells and platelets. Every day, the bone marrow produces billions of blood cells, and they allow us to transport oxygen to the body's organs (the red blood cells), defend ourselves against diseases (the white blood cells), and they assure that the blood can clot so that bleeding stops (platelets). If you have imbalances in majja, they can manifest themselves in the form of chronic fatigue, weak immune system and low stress resistance. Here are some tips to keep majja healthy and robust:
• Make sure you get enough rest and avoid stress.
- Exercise regularly but not too hard.
• Do oil massage, abhyanga, daily.
• Avoid junk food, alcohol, drugs and environmental toxins.
• Eat organic as much as possible.
• Asparagus, non-homogenised boiled milk, walnuts, pecans, peeled almonds and mango fruits are examples of foods that strengthen majja.
• Be out in the sun often - maybe not so easy this time of year, but it gets better 😀